The holidays are a major event for all parents. You might see it as an opportunity to take a break or you may use the time off work to get some tasks done. It’s not a decision that you can make easily and there is always more than one factor in play.
Planning is all part of the process, so you should start well in advance of the school holiday dates. The more time and effort put into planning, the less stressful it will be on your family life.
When are the school holidays this year? Exactly how many are there? I live in Scotland, when is it half term? When are the kids off again?
After much research, we can now share the UK school holidays in 2021/22. This includes dates at both ends of the holiday so you may plan accordingly. Read the information we’ve laid out to help with your future travel plans. Also, to make it much easier for you to navigate, we’ve also separated the results by county too.
Your child’s school holiday should fall between these dates. Dates vary depending on the county, and there may be additional teacher training days, so you should always check with your school for accurate information.
School holiday dates in England | School holiday dates in Wales | School holiday dates in Scotland | School holiday dates in Northern Ireland
English School Holiday Dates 2020/21
- Term starts: From 2nd September
- October half term: 19th October – 1st November (1 week)
- Christmas holidays: 21st December – 1st January (2 weeks for most schools)
- February half term 2021: 15th – 19th February (1 week)
- Easter holidays 2021: 2nd- 16th April (start/end date may vary)
- May half-term 2021: 31st May – 4th June (start/end date may vary)
- Summer holidays 2021: From 22nd July (usually 5-6 weeks, start and end date may vary)
Take a look at specific school holiday dates for:
Norfolk, Warwickshire, Staffordshire, Manchester, Birmingham, Essex, Hampshire, Kent, Surrey, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Leeds, Somerset, Derbyshire, Sheffield, West Sussex, and East Sussex.
Scottish School Holiday Dates 2020/21
- Monday 10 August – Staff in-service day
- Tuesday 11 August – All resume
- Friday 9 Oct 2020 – Last day for pupils and staff – mid-term holiday
- Monday 19 Oct 2020 – All resume
- Thursday 12 Nov 2020 – Staff in-service day
- Friday 13 Nov 2020 – Staff in-service day
- Monday 30 Nov 2020 – St Andrew’s Day holiday, school closed
- Friday 18 Dec 2020 – Last day of term for pupils and staff
- Tuesday 5 Jan 2021 – All resume
- Thursday 11 Feb 2021 – Last day for pupils – February holiday
- Friday 12 Feb 2021 – Staff in-service day
- Wednesday 17 Feb 2021 – All resume
- Thursday 1 Apr 2021 – Last day of term for pupils and staff
Monday 19 Apr 2021 – All resume (Good Friday falls within Spring break)
- Friday 30 Apr 2021 – Staff in-service day
- Monday 3 May 2021 – May Day holiday, school closed
- Monday 7 June – Staff in-service day (Secondary schools only)
- Tuesday 8 June – Staff in-service day (Secondary schools only)
- Wednesday 23 Jun 2021 – Last day of term for pupils and staff
See specific school holiday dates for Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Welsh School Holiday Dates 2020/21
Spring Term 2021
- Tuesday 5th January 2021 to Thursday 11th February 2021
- Half-Term: Monday 15th February 2021 to Friday 19th February 2021
- Monday 22nd February 2021 to Friday 26th March 2021
Summer Term 2021
- Tuesday 13th April 2021 to Friday 28th May 2021
- Half-Term: Monday 31st May 2021 to Friday 4th June 2021
- Tuesday 8th June 2021 to Friday 16th July 2021
Non-Pupil Days 20/21
Monday 21st December 2020
Tuesday 22nd December 2020
Monday 4th January 2021
Friday 12th February 2021
Monday 12th April 2021
Thursday 6th May 2021
Monday 7th June 2021
Useful Dates 20/21
Good Friday: Friday 2nd April 2021
Easter Monday: Monday 5th April 2021
May Day Bank Holiday: Monday 3rd May 2021
Spring Bank Holiday: Monday 31st May 2021
Royal Welsh Show (cancelled in 2021): Monday 19th July 2021 – Thursday 22nd July 2021
Autumn Term 2021
- Wednesday 1st September 2021 to Friday 22nd October 2021
- Half-Term: Monday 25th October 2021 to Friday 29th October 2021
- Monday 1st November 2021 to Wednesday 22nd December 2021
Northern Irish School Holiday Dates 2020/21
2020/2021 School Holidays
- Schools resume after the summer holiday 1 September 2020
- Halloween 29 to 30 October 2020
- Christmas and New Year – 22 December 2020 to 1 January 2021
- Mid-term – 18 to 19 February 2021
- St Patrick’s Day – 17 March 2021
- Easter – 1 to 9 April 2021
- May Day -3 May 2021
- Second May Bank Holiday – 31 May 2021
- The summer holiday begins – 1 July 2021
Ideas for the School Holidays
We hope that our overview of the UK school holidays & half-term has been helpful. What’s left is to start thinking about some days out that you can pencil in for your calendar – there are over 6,000 attractions to choose from, and we won’t judge if you don’t get them all into the year!
Begin by searching for things to do near you on the home page (simply type in your postcode), or take a look at our recommendations below:
February half term is a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the beauty of nature after the winter, with few travel restrictions.
To start off, the Easter holidays are all about Easter eggs and more chocolate than any kid could ever need (see if they agree!). You can also check out the farm parks and baby animals.
Stay cool this summer by visiting an aqua park if your climate is hotter, or try an indoor waterpark if the weather is more variable. We all know what the British weather is like, so you’ll be glad of the chance to splash about.
Summer holidays are an important part of every child’s year! Get out there and experience some culture with a trip to London or head up north for beautiful national parks and countryside walks.
The October half-term always comes with a healthy dose of mud puddles., There are many events that trigger autumn’s arrival, but few are as dramatic as the turn from green to orange.
It is not just for Halloween; there’s a reason October 31 will be remembered long after other dates on this list have passed. Greenery alight in multicolour strokes and blurred leaves drifting along suburban pavements before settling.
Why not consider taking your kids to go pumpkin picking or join in on a spooky event?
How will you spend your Christmas holidays this year? The list is stuffed as Santa’s sack full of activities like ice skating, skiing, and visiting the man himself at one of many Santa grottos open. So make sure it’s magical!
School Holiday FAQs
Are schools open on a bank holiday?
No – schools are not open on a bank holiday. Easter bank holidays – Good Friday is on April 2nd this year, and Easter Monday is April 5th.
These are usually within the Easter school break. A late May bank holiday falls in the first half term of the year, so if you’re from England we’ll have a one-off more day in school than most people.
From 2020 onwards it’s on Monday 31st May and not Friday 27th May as there will be a change in our university letting days.
There are also two late October bank holidays – Monday 29th October and Friday 24th November.
How many weeks of holiday do schools have?
Schools have 13 week-long breaks per year. These vary on an area-by-area basis, so please contact your child’s school for their most accurate vacation schedule.
What are the school holidays for 2019/20?
The six national school holidays in the UK are February, May, Easter (March/April), Summer, October, and Christmas (December).
What is half term?
Half term is a short break in the middle of your school term that usually takes place for one week. There are two or three half terms throughout the school year, taking place in February, April, and October.
Main Photo by Vidar Nordli-Mathisen on Unsplash